The Musée d’Yverdon et région has a remarkable collection of Egyptian antiquities, which dates back to 1896, when the Yverdon agronomist Edwin Simond (1856-1911), who was then living and working in Alexandria, gave the City of Yverdon the mummy of the priest Nes-Shou and his his tomb furnishing
A masterpiece of the Egyptology collections, the funerary equipment of the priest Nes-Shou dates from the Ptolemaic period (around 200 BC). In addition to the mummified body of the deceased, it includes his sarcophagus with a richly decorated casket and lid, cartonnage and a Book of the Dead. This collection is considered by specialists to be the most complete and one of the most interesting preserved in Switzerland and forms the core of the collection. The collection was enriched in 1983 by an anonymous donor who gave the museum nine pieces of exceptional quality. These include four remarkable stone statuettes of late Middle Kingdom dignitaries, various bronze figurines, and a Saite stele of archaic type. In 1993, the collection was completed by 204 pieces bequeathed by the descendants of Edwin Simond, bringing the Egyptological collection of the Museum of Yverdon and Region to approximately 400 pieces.