The Museum of Yverdon and its Region is one of the oldest in the Canton of Vaud, dating back to the second half of the 18th century. It was in 1764 that the Yverdon-based pastor and geologist Elie Bertrand (1713-1797), one of the outstanding intellectual figures of 18thcentury Vaud, presented some mineral specimens and fossils to the Economic Society of Yverdon with the purpose of contributing to the education of his fellow citizens. Later, after his death, his entire natural history cabinet passed to the society, which had meanwhile changed its name to the Literary Society.
During the course of the following century the collections of this embryonic museum were augmented with dozens, then hundreds, of objects relating to natural and cultural history, with the idea of making the widest possible range of knowledge accessible to the inhabitants of the region. During the last decades of the 19th century in particular the collections were enriched with items found during the archaeological investigations conducted in Yverdon and its surroundings by the museum’s curator, Louis Rochat (1824-1882).
Following the discoveries made in the castrum in 1903 under the direction of the cantonal archaeologist Albert Naef, it was decided to hand the museum over to a new association, one that would be independent of the Public Library (the former Literary Society). This is how the Museum of Yverdon Society came to be created in 1904, and in 1923 the words “Old Yverdon” were added to its name. In 1953 it acquired the legal status of “officially recognised museum” of the Canton of Vaud. As such, it became the legal depository for all Roman archaeological material found in the former district of Yverdon, and for the material from all the other periods found in Yverdon and Cheseaux-Noréaz.
In 1998, as the collections threatened to sprawl out of control, the museum authorities decided to focus on regional archaeology and history. The natural science collections were therefore transferred to the relevant cantonal museums, while remaining the property of the association.
2001 saw another change in the history of the museum: the Foundation of the Museum of Yverdon was established, and given the task of running it. At the same time, the Association of the Friends of the Museum of Yverdon was created to provide support for the institution and its activities
In addition to its large collection relating to regional archaeology, the Museum of Yverdon and its Region also houses several thousand objects illustrating the cultural and art history of Yverdon and its surrounding area. For the most part these consist of pictures – drawings, water colours, prints, oil paintings on canvas, photographs and old post cards – plus items of everyday use and handcrafted or industrially produced objects. In addition it possesses some 400 finds from ancient Egypt plus a fine collection of ethnographical artefacts collected by residents of Yverdon who have lived abroad.
The museum can thus be seen as a repository for the material memory of the Yverdon region, which it has the twofold task of preserving and enriching. A further mission of the institution is to make this extensive heritage accessible to the public by putting on exhibitions, producing publications and organising educational activities. Finally, it is a research and documentation centre open to researchers, students, school children and any other interested person who asks to use it.
Since 2001 the Foundation of the Museum of Yverdon has been legally responsible for the Museum of Yverdon and its Region. It is supported in its activities by the Association of the Friends of the Museum of Yverdon (AMY - www.amyverdon.ch).
France TERRIER, director and curator
Corinne SANDOZ, archaeology collections curator
Sophie HEIM, administrator
Marc BATALLA, technician.
Council of the Foundation of the Museum of Yverdon
M. François BRUAND, chairman and representative of the Association of the Friends of the Museum of Yverdon (AMY)
Mme Nathalie SAUGY, deputy chairwoman and representative of the town of Yverdon-les-Bains
M. André RAIMOND, treasurer and representative of AMY
M. Lionel PERNET, representative of the Canton of Vaud
Mme Elisabetta GABELLA, representative of the town of Yverdon-les-Bains
M. François MENNA, representative of AMY
M. Frédéric ROHNER, representative of the district of Yverdon
M. Daniel WASNER, representative of AMY
Pascale FISCHER, designated member by the Council.
LE VISITEUR 3/2012 (in French) [PDF Format]
LE VISITEUR 2/2011(in French) [PDF Format]
LE VISITEUR 1/2010 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2009 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2008 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2007 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2006 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2005 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2004 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2003 (in French) [PDF Format]
Rapport d’activité pour l’année 2002 (in French) [PDF Format]